Tuesday, August 31, 2010

TSL Song Analysis Quiz

The song "Reflection" by Christina Aguilera, is almost parallel to the way Rev. Dimmesdale feels in The Scarlet Letter. "Look at me, you may think you see, who I really am, but you'll never know me," a few lines from the song, basically tell the man's story. He has a deep, dark secret that would strip him of his role as minister and defile his name, much like Hester's, if it is revealed. In the town's mind, he is "the saint on earth," but in his heart he knows otherwise. "I am now, in a world where I have to hide my heart," another piece of of the song, shows Dimmesdale's trouble, how he has to keep everything inside, knowing he is wrong, and even calls himself a "remorseful hypocrite". "Who is that girl I see, staring straight back at me," while Rev. Dimmesdale is not necessarily a girl, he has changed, and his image of himself has changed, he doesn't even know who he is anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment